Tuesday, December 15, 2009

December 15th Update

Sorry for waiting so long to post again, but Danny and I have been up at the Hospital all night and most of today, just waiting.
Here is what is going on with Shay...

Since last night's surgery we have been waiting for Shay to wake up, this has not happened yet.  The Dr's don't know why exactly so they did a CAT scan of his brain today to look for any swelling that might have occured due to the CPR, the CAT scan did not show any signifigant signs of brain injury.  We were encouraged by this, although the Dr. did warn us that the CAT scan is not always the best way to view these types of injuries, an MRI would give us better information but Shay is just not stable enought to endure that procedure, so we can only go by the CAT scan for now.

So why hasn't Shay woke up from surgery?  They can't really say.  A person with normal liver and kidney function would most likly have woke up by now, but as we know, Shay's liver and kidney function is comprimised so they just don't know how long it might take him to metabolize the medicine from surgery.  His brain could be in a state of 'shock' from the trauma he went through yesterday and may just be protecting itself, or there could be some brain injury that the CAT scan did not pick up.  These are all explanations that the Dr.'s have given us.  Some other information about Shay's condition; one of his pupils is responsive, one is not, his Carbon Dioxide levels are high and his oxygen has been turned up to 100%, his potassium levels are very elevated.
Game Plan: they are putting Shay on the Prisma Dialysis overnight, this should help his potassium levels and make him more stable for surgery tomorrow which is the next step.  They will be taking him to surgery at 7:30 in the morning to remove the packing they left in his left chest last night to help with bleeding issues, check the lung to make sure it is sealed and then properly close his left chest.  They believe this should help the Carbon Dioxide levels in his blood.  We will also continue to watch Shay closley in hopes that he does eventually come around and wake up.

This is everything we know to date.  We will post throughout the day tomorrow as we get new information.  Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers and support.
We love you all,
Danny & Christy

6 comments:

  1. Not a day goes by that I have thought about and prayed for Shay and his wonderful family. I can't imagine what you are going through and yet you find time to update this block and I am so thankful, everyone here at Fair Grove is. There is a sea of prayers coming from your town, so you are never alone in this fight.
    Krysta Baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man oh man, I have got to start rereading my entries. If you ever need a laugh, go through and read my comments!! : ) They are sure to do the trick.
    Krysta (again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me laugh Baker.

    Just left the hospital and Shay was still sound asleep but the nurses were encouraged by his vitals. Shay is amazing. When we walked back tonight one of Shay's nurses saw us and just started shaking her head at us and said "he is one tough kid." It hards to believe what one kid can go through and still be here fighting. I told Shay tonight that if the old saying "chicks dig scars" is accurate he is going to be the ladies man when he gets out of here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shay--I don't think I have ever prayed for one person as much as I have prayed for you since you have been in Oklahoma. I just wanted to tell you thank you for increasing my faith and my prayer life! We know you are a fighter Shay and we need you to keep up the fight. You have so many people fighting for you in prayer. You need to know that you are not going through this alone. We love you here at Fair Grove and we are a little selfish....we want you back!!!

    Chris, Kelly, Danny, Christy, and rest of the family....I can't begin to tell you how much we love you. Not only are we praying for Shay but for you guys as well. I know it has been a roller coaster ride but just hang on. God is in control of all things and has a plan through all of this. Stay strong, keep the faith. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shay-- I don't even know where to begin... You are one amazing kid! I can't even think about what you are going through. You have increased my prayer time with the Lord by so much! I pray for you ever time I start to think of you which is a lot these days! And listen to Coach girls do indeed dig scars! lol
    Shays family-- I hope that you are ALL able to come back to FG soon, we all miss you here. I want to thank you for updating this blog. I hope you guys understand how much you are missed and loved in this city! You haven't been here long but Shay has touched everyone's heart some way! Now before I start to cry I'm going to get going I don't think Shay would like that!
    Love always!!!
    Amie Cleeton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shay I am staying all night with you so your mom can get some sleep. I do not think she has slept much in the last days, she does not want to leave your side. I do not blame her one bit. You have such strong loving parents. They love you so much. Shay I am so proud of you, you are the strongest kid I know. Buddy we have another fight tomorrow and I will pray that God gives you the strength you will need for tomorrow. I will also be praying that after surgery that you will wake up and come back to us. I love you so much. Your are an amazing young man, I love you:)
    Just wanted to tell all my moms reading this blog thanks for letting me take off and be with Shay. I have an awesome group of mothers I babysit for thank you again. I can not image being away from Shay and his parents right now. It means so much that Chris and I can be here wiith them.

    ReplyDelete